Where does my water come from?

The Chattahoochee River is the drinking water for DeKalb County. The water is treated at the Scott Candler Water Filter Plant and then distributed to DeKalb County customers. Click here for more information.

Where can I get information about the quality of my water?

The Safe Drinking Water Act requires public water systems to send annual water quality reports to all of their customers. The DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management supports this effort and each year publishes a water quality report known as the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR).

Who do I call with questions about my drinking water?

Visit the office of the Revenue Collections/Water Billing Department at 1300 Commerce Drive in downtown Decatur. Office hours are Monday-Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

How do I establish a new account?

You can download a copy of the application for service by clicking on the "Application for Water/Sewer Service" link on the right. Take the completed application, a copy of your social security card, driver's license or picture identification, and your lease or closing papers along with a non-refundable $20 application fee to the Revenue Collections/Water Billing Department. Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m to 5:00 p.m. at 1300 Commerce Drive (on the corner of Commerce and Trinity) in downtown Decatur. For more information, please call 404-378-4475.

Who do I contact concerning problems with my water bill?

For account and billing questions, call the Finance Department's Water and Sewer Billing Customer Service at 404-378-4475.

How do I know if I am under watering restrictions? How can I conserve water?

The State of Georgia has permanent watering restrictions. There are several sources available to inform residents of the restrictions, including this website, the Department of Natural Resources website, and local newspapers and news stations. Water conservation tips are provided on our water conservation tips web page, and from the American Water Works Association.

Why has my water been turned off?

Your water may have been cut off as a result of non-payment of your water bill. For more information, please call 404-378-4475.

If your water pressure suddenly drops to nothing or to a small trickle, the cause is likely a broken water main. Contact the emergency service number at 770-270-6243. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Why is there construction and/or repair activities in my neighborhood?

To obtain construction and maintenance information, please call 770-621-7267.

Why is my water pressure low?

If your water pressure suddenly drops to nothing or to a small trickle, the cause is likely a broken water main. Call the emergency service number 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 770-270-6243.

If you have been experiencing low water pressure on an ongoing basis, check to see if the low pressure only occurs in certain parts of the house or only from the hot or cold water tap. If the answer is yes to either of these, this would indicate a problem with your home's interior plumbing. You may need to contact a plumber.

If the low pressure is noticeable throughout the entire house and tends to drop when more than one faucet is being used, further investigation is needed. Call 770-270-6243 to report these problems. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Another cause of low water pressure is high demand during periods of low supply.

Who do I call for emergency repairs?

For 24-hour emergency repairs, please call 770-270-6243.

Who do I call for other repairs, such as leaky pipes, standing water, or running water?

For problems with pipes from your water meter to your house or with your interior plumbing, contact a plumber. For problems with pipes from the water meter to the street, please call 770-270-6243. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

What is a backflow prevention device? Why is one needed?

A backflow prevention device attaches to the outside sewer service line of a home or business to prevent sewage from entering the building when a blockage occurs.

What is a backflow and how does it occur?

A backflow is the result of a blockage in the sanitary sewer system. Sewage rises through a manhole and overflows to the surrounding area. If the plumbing in your home or business is below the level of the overflowing manhole, the sewage can enter your home or business through your lowest plumbing drains.

Do all buildings need this device?

No, if your home or business has a septic system, is above street level, or if there is no drain below street level then this device is not necessary.

Am I required to have a backflow prevention device?

If your home or business is on the sewer line and it sits below street level or if the lowest drain in the building is below street level, a backflow prevention device is required by DeKalb County code.

Will the county install this device?

No, although the DeKalb County code requires this device to protect home and business owners, it is the property owner's responsibility to have one installed. The Georgia State Supreme Court has ruled that a county government may not perform work on a private plumbing system. A plumber can assist you in selecting the best device and install it for you.

Will my insurance cover any damage to my home if a backflow occurs?

You should check with your insurance company to be certain. You may need to purchase special homeowner's insurance to cover potential damage caused by a backflow.

MAIN MENU: home | pay your bill | about us | water | waste water | projects | education & kids | emaiL us