DeKalb County Residents are urged to follow water restrictions to preserve water pressure for the protection of health and safety. It is very important that all citizens adhere to these restrictions.
Outdoor Water Use Information
The Georgia Water Stewardship Act, which went into statewide effect on June 2, 2010, allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. by anyone whose water is supplied by a water system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division.
The following outdoor water uses are also allowed daily, at any time of the day, by anyone:
- Commercial agricultural operations as defined in Code Section 1-3-3;
- Capture and reuse of cooling system condensate or storm water in compliance with applicable local ordinances and state guidelines;
- Reuse of gray water in compliance with Code Section 31-3-5.2 and applicable local board of health regulations adopted pursuant thereto;
- Use of reclaimed waste water by a designated user from a system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division of the department to provide reclaimed waste water;
- Irrigation of personal food gardens;
- Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf in landscapes, golf courses, or sports turf fields during installation and for a period of 30 days immediately following the date of installation;
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses;
- Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container;
- Use of water withdrawn from private water wells or surface water by an owner or operator of property if such well or surface water is on said property;
- Irrigation of horticultural crops held for sale, resale, or installation;
- Irrigation of athletic fields, golf courses, or public turf grass recreational areas;
- Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems; or
Outdoor water use for any purposes other than watering of plants, such as power washing or washing cars, is still restricted to the current odd/even watering schedule.
- Odd-numbered addresses can water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Even-numbered and unnumbered addresses are allowed to water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
For more information, please call the DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management at 770-270-6243 or visit the Georgia Environmental Protection Division Website at www.gaepd.org.
THESE GUIDELINES WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING ENFORCEMENT
Water Citation Inspectors will be dispatched during this restricted period. Watering violations should be reported to the Department of Watershed Management at 770-270-6243. The current enforcement was adopted by the Board Of Commissioners on November 13, 2007. It is as follows:
1st Offense - Written Warning.
2nd Offense - $250.00 fine.
3rd Offense - $500.00 fine.
4th Offense - $1000.00 fine, jail time, and termination of water service.